Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Breakfast is THE most important meal of the day

I've never been much of a breakfast eater. Frankly coffee is the only thing I really want in the morning. But I understand that it's important to eat, especially in the morning, to start your day off right. I also recognize that when I have breakfast I am less hungry throughout the day.

Since we had a big day of work ahead of us on Sunday, and I had just seen the Sunset magazine cover at the grocery store checkstand, we purchased the ingredients for the Parmesan toasts featured in this month's issue. The plan was to wing it of course - I mean I can see what the ingredients are - but I found the recipe on their website just to keep myself in check and make sure I was on the right track.



Like every recipe I try, I just had to augment it a tiny bit and add my own twist. I don't know why I can't leave any recipes alone, but in my opinion it makes it better so, why not?

Here's how I made them (for 2):

Ingredients
4 slices bacon
asparagus spears, ends trimmed
fresh  basil sprig
slices crusty bread such as ciabatta, sliced 1 in. thick
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
large eggs 

1 medium tomato, sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook bacon over medium high heat until desired crispiness. Remove bacon from the pan. Add asparagus and sauté in the bacon grease until tender when pierced, about 5 minutes. Transfer asparagus to a plate. Add basil to pan and swirl around until completely wilted.
2. Put bread slices in pan and toast in bacon grease, turning once 30 seconds in, about 1 minute total. Sprinkle about 2 tbsp. parmesan onto each piece of bread and cook until cheese starts to melt and bread starts to brown slightly, about 2 minutes. Transfer bread to plates.
3. Reduce heat to medium and in the same pan, gently fry both eggs to your liking. Top each piece of bread with 2 prosciutto slices, a slice or two of tomato and half the asparagus. Set an egg on top of each and sprinkle servings with salt and pepper.

If you are interested in the recipe as it was published in Sunset, you can find it here.

We were already devouring them when I thought to take a picture
These were absolutely delicious. I can't wait to make them again. From start to finish they take about 15 minutes. And all of the cooking is in one pan so the mess is relatively small. 

MMMMMmmmmm. I wish I had one on my plate right now....

No comments:

Post a Comment