Tuesday, July 7, 2015

June (and now July) 30 Day Challenge: Part III

Of course two days later IKEA had the bookshelves we drove all the way down for so I picked them up when the store opened. Warning: the packages are HEAVY. Luckily I'm stubborn and a little bit strong so after some jimmy-ing around I got them in the Pilot. Which leads me to another question: why, boys, when you are walking by a woman clearly struggling to pick something up (not only because they were heavy, but also because they are on a cart that moves in all directions), do you not only walk on by, but slow down to watch, and not offer to help? Is our society so afraid of offending someone that common decency has been lost? I'm not a girl that likes to ask for help. And usually I can do whatever it is on my own. But that doesn't mean it isn't nice when someone offers. Let me tell you, "no thank you," but don't just stop and stare.

Ok, I digress....

So I've looked at a million pins on Pinterest about making the Billy bookcases into "built-ins" complete with instructions and tips & tricks. And while I will tell you that I am so pleased with how they look and I can't wait to get to the point I can put things on them, it took plenty of creativity on our part to put them together and fit them around this doorway.


The flimsy backing that comes with the bookcases just didn't seem like they would be adequate to create that real built in look. We found some wainscoting at the hardware store and decided that would give the bookcases an extra detail.

They come pre-primed but we needed to make sure that they would match the IKEA white of the bookshelves. After searching the ol' interwebs low and behold someone else had done something similar and had already found the magic paint formula. We headed to the Sherwin Williams store and showed them a photo on my phone of the label.


We decided to stir in one of those additives that helps remove any brush strokes or roller marks so that it would end up looking more like the finish on the bookcases. When we were in Sherwin Williams we discussed buying a bottle. But there was one at home, so why buy more. Uh yeah, that was a mistake. The stuff at home did not mix in well and ended up leaving tiny grains of the product all over. So, Myko sanded down the wainscoting. And then we had to run all of the gallon of paint through cheesecloth. Ugh.

In addition to the wainscoting for the backing of the bookcases we also decided that we should  re-paint all of the chair rail, the base trim, and all the trim for the bookcases. But first I had to remove all of the nails and caulking from the old pieces that we are going to re-use.

I should mention that all the while we have been working on this project Washington state has had the hottest June in recorded history. Every day has been in the 90's. And if you're from the great Pacific Northwest like I am, that weather is NOT welcome. I mean I love the sun, just not the heat. I know I shouldn't complain but damn it's been hot.

There were several modifications we had to make to the bookcases. While I was removing nails and caulk Myko was busy modifying the cases to work for the space. To attach the backing we shaved down the back of the bookcases.

Once the wainscoting was repainted and cut it was ready to be attached to the bookshelves.



The remaining process of fitting the bookcases around the doorway and determining what other cuts or modifications to make really took a long time. Luckily we are clever and between the two of us we figured out where cuts needed to be made, where to attach the two Gnedby bookcases together and what pieces of crown or trim we would need and their lengths. After making numerous measurements we created a shopping list.

REMEMBER: MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE!
Just a little friendly advice......

After all of the cuts were completed we put the bookcases in place.

While I continue to tell myself I'm going to put these posts up the same day that we do the work I am constantly failing myself. So this post is playing catch-up. Most of this work was done over the coarse of a number of weeknights, slaving away after we got home from work.

Now it's getting close. Hopefully I will get another post in here between now and the ultimate reveal. It's always the little stuff that takes forever but really makes the job get done right. And, of course, who would be satisfied with anything done half ass? Certainly not me.


No comments:

Post a Comment